Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Public Education Schools Me On The Art Of The Shakedown

All of my children are in Catholic schools which is my choice.  I am not happy that the government uses my local and state tax dollars to fund public government-engineered education but that is the current law and so, my husband and I elect to pay extra to send our children to a school with discipline, structure, and the open discussion of God.

Recently I went to see my daughter play basketball against a local public high school team.  This was on a week night, not a particularly special game, but one thing was different than any of the games I'd attended this season.  For the first time I was charged ADMISSION to see a JV Girls high school game with the proceeds going to support this PUBLIC SCHOOL.

Not only did I have to pay admission but so did my other daughter who came to cheer on her sister.  There was no student rate for her since she didn't attend public school (though I certainly pay taxes for her to).  So now I'm in deep for two admission fees to a JV Girls basketball game.  My daughter is a good player, but are you kidding me?  Though $10 is not going to keep me from feeding my children this week, it's the principle behind all of this.

To add another objection to this issue, for a public school parent who may well be financially strapped, this admission fee is conceivably hindering their ability to support their child.  And the public schools wonder why they have parental participation issues?  This is liberal hypocrisy at work, my friends.

To give you an idea of how obscene and shiftless this scam is, one of the mothers from my daughter's team showed up to the public school game with less than TWO MINUTES left to play.  She was coming from work and knew she wasn't going to see much, if any of the game but wanted to be there to pick her daughter up so her daughter wouldn't have to return to our school on the team bus.  Would you believe the public school wanted to still charge this mother full admission price with less than two minutes to go in the game?   

The Catholic high school that my children attend have games going on in their gym all nights of the week and weekends but never, not once, not even during Catholic schools week has admission been charged.  Our school is certainly far from being flush with cash yet gouging a parent who wants to see their child play just does not seem right.

What exactly are we getting for our tax dollars?  In a time when public schools are getting more funding than they ever have, they resort to parasitic tactics rather than doing what the rest of us do, live within our means.  What exactly are these public schools doing with the gobs of money they receive?  The gym that I paid $10 to sit in was filthy, and the restrooms could only be described as the Black Hole of Calcutta.

When are we all going to wake up and realize our government is committing grand larceny on We The People?  The test score standings in our public schools are horrendous but we pay more.  The ideology that is spoon fed to our youth in these institutions borders on intellectual perversion and we pay more.  Not all but in far too many of the public schools, students are in physical danger on a daily basis with metal detectors and guards walking the halls, yet we pay more to enable these sorts of environments to continue?   

Government has NO BUSINESS in the education of our youth.  They've had their chance for several decades.  The product they provide simply sucks.  We pay more and get less.  What is the government's solution?  For selfish citizens to give more money to the very people who have mucked this up in the first place?  Come on!

Americans, we must take back our schools.  When a public school with steady streams of public funds sees fit to charge parents admission to an ordinary sporting event while a privately funded financially lean school doesn't, something stinks in Denmark and it's not the gym socks.

No comments: